Re: automatic REINDEX-ing - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: automatic REINDEX-ing
Date
Re: automatic REINDEX-ing  (Kevin Hunter <hunteke@earlham.edu>)
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 12:41:41PM -0400, Kevin Hunter wrote:
> Roughly, VACUUM simply reclaims/frees disk space, while VACUUM FULL
> additionally reorganizes disk usage.  I'm still don't know *why* this
> leads to index bloat, however, just that it does.  I must defer that
> explication to a Postgres guru.

Because VACUUM FULL needs to move stuff around in the table which means it
need to mess around with the indexes (adding new entries). Ordinary
VACUUM only needs to delete stuff so doesn't cause anywhere near as
many problems.

Have a nice day,

Attachment