Re: DELETE with JOIN - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From felix@crowfix.com
Subject Re: DELETE with JOIN
Date
Re: DELETE with JOIN  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-sql
On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 03:58:51PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> felix@crowfix.com writes:
> > I have tried to do this before and always found a way, usually
>
> >     DELETE FROM a WHERE a.b_id IN (SELECT id FROM b WHERE second_id = ?)
>
> > but I have too many rows, millions, in the IN crowd, ha ha, and it
> > barfs.
>
> Define "barfs".  That seems like the standard way to do it, and it
> should work.

In this case, the first database I tried was Oracle, and it complained
of too much transactional data; I forget the exact wording now.  It
worked on some cases, but others with "too much" data died with the
complaint after thinking about it for a minute or so.  Since the test
data will only grow in size, I was hoping for some other way.

--            ... _._. ._ ._. . _._. ._. ___ .__ ._. . .__. ._ .. ._.    Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket
surgeon/ felix@crowfix.com GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E  6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933