Re: Mini improvement: statement_cost_limit - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From daveg
Subject Re: Mini improvement: statement_cost_limit
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 05:19:50PM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> See, this is what we ended up talking about before. Someone will say "I'd like
> to prevent my devs from accidentally doing queries with cartesian products"
> and they will use this to do it... but that will only work in some cases, so
> it becomes a poor tool to solve a different problem.
>
> BTW, what I really love about statement costs, is that they aren't even
> reliable on the same machine with the same data. I have seen query plans
> which run on the same data on the same machine where the resultant query
> runtime can vary from 2 hours to 5 hours, depending on how much other
> concurrent traffic is on the machine. Awesome eh?

Sure, I don't think anyone believes that costs are precise. But the case that
is interesting is 2 hours versus years and years.

> The footgun in my mind is that people will think this solves a number of
> problems even though it doesnt solve them well.  However, the footgun for yo

I suspect that a good solution to this problem is impossible as it is more
or less the halting problem. So I'm willing to accept a poor solution based
on costs and then hope we improve the cost model.

-dg

--
David Gould       daveg@sonic.net      510 536 1443    510 282 0869