Re: Parsing of pg_hba.conf and authentication inconsistencies - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Parsing of pg_hba.conf and authentication inconsistencies
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:

>> I'd go for just
>>
>>     postgres --check-config -D $PGDATA
>>
>> (In a reload scenario, you'd edit the files in-place and then do this
>> before issuing SIGHUP.)

Sounds good.

> Doesn't it seem reasonable that it should be pg_ctl? You should never
> run postgres directly unless it is for DR.

What on earth is DR?

The problem with pg_ctl is that it's indirectly calling postgres, and it
doesn't have a lot of a way to know what happened after calling it;
consider the mess we have with pg_ctl -w.