Re: Load spikes on 8.1.11 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Decibel!
Subject Re: Load spikes on 8.1.11
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 02:23:43AM -0400, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 10:41:36AM +0530, Gurjeet Singh wrote:
> >
> > Just started INIT cluster Slonik command and that spiked too.. for more than
> > 10 minutes now!!
>
> Are you attempting to do Slony changes (such as install Slony) on an
> active database?  I strongly encourage you to read the Slony manual.
> Slony, frankly, sucks for this use case.  The manual says as much,
> although in more orotund phrases than that.

FWIW, I've had few problems getting londiste up and running on a heavily
loaded database. You might need to be a bit careful about when you add
very large tables due to the copy overhead, but other than that I
haven't had issues.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel@decibel.org