Re: pg_dump additional options for performance - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: pg_dump additional options for performance
Date
Re: pg_dump additional options for performance  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-patches
* Simon Riggs (simon@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-07-20 at 17:43 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > Even this doesn't cover everything though- it's too focused on tables
> > and data loading.  Where do functions go?  What about types?
>
> Yes, it is focused on tables and data loading. What about
> functions/types? No relevance here.

I don't see how they're not relevant, it's not like they're being
excluded and in fact they show up in the pre-load output.  Heck, even if
they *were* excluded, that should be made clear in the documentation
(either be an explicit include list, or saying they're excluded).

Part of what's driving this is making sure we have a plan for future
objects and where they'll go.  Perhaps it would be enough to just say
"pre-load is everything in the schema, except things which are faster
done in bulk (eg: indexes, keys)".  I don't think it's right to say
pre-load is "only object definitions required to load data" when it
includes functions and ACLs though.

Hopefully my suggestion and these comments will get us to a happy
middle-ground.

    Thanks,

        Stephen

Attachment