Re: C-procedure crashed in Postgres 8.3.3 when using 'text' variable (WinXP) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: C-procedure crashed in Postgres 8.3.3 when using 'text' variable (WinXP)
Date
List pgsql-general
Craig Ringer wrote:

> That said, PostgreSQL does appear to use its own allocator for memory
> passed across library boundaries, and if it doesn't pass any FILE
> pointers across library boundaries either then that's the worst two
> problems that arise with a C runtime mismatch taken care of. As far as I
> know, anyway, and I've had the misfortune to have to dig into it a bit.

Note that our allocator uses malloc() underneath.  And I would think
that we do pass FILE pointers around too; AllocateFile works with FILE,
so any library that's using that method to get to files would be in
trouble (which they should, because it's the way to ensure we don't leak
files on transaction abort and also to ensure that the system continues
to work on the face of lots of open files).