Re: Summary of some postgres portability issues - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Summary of some postgres portability issues
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Am Mittwoch, 9. Juli 2008 schrieb Ken Camann:
> In trying to port postgres to 64-bit Windows, I've encountered a
> number of issues which may (or may not) affect other compilers.

Given that PostgreSQL runs fine on other 64-bit architectures, unsubstantiated
claims about other compilers being affected are probably just going to
distract you from the work that needs to be done.  I suggest you concentrate
on fixing the problem at hand, namely you take the actual compiler warnings
and errors and develop fixes for them.  Perhaps a generalization will arise
here or there, but so far you are the only person who has actually seen the
problems, so all the rest of us are just idly guessing.

That said, if most of the problems can be fixed by replacing int by size_t,
please go for it.  I think in most cases the use of int was just laziness
rather than careful planning.

Also, please consider setting up a buildfarm client for this port.