Re: Command execution - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From A. Kretschmer
Subject Re: Command execution
Date
List pgsql-hackers
am  Thu, dem 03.07.2008, um 23:15:33 +1000 mailte Aaron Spiteri folgendes:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have been following the mailing list and reading the source code
> for a little while,  and was wandering if someone could fill in the
> gaps for me.  Does PostgresQL view updates and inserts performed in a
> function as part of the same transaction or are they considered
> separate transactions:
>
> For instance say I had a function name foo and ran the command:
>
> SELECT foo();
>
> Inside foo there was a INSERT and UPDATE, and the INSERT failed but
> the UPDATE succeeded would the UPDATE be rolled back?

The whole function is an own transaction. Fails the INSERT, the complete
function foo failed. In other words; yes, also the UPDATE rolled back.

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer