SET CLIENT_ENCODING - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Zbigniew Baniewski
Subject SET CLIENT_ENCODING
Date
List pgsql-general
Hallo,

I would to ask about function (vide subject) transcoding the characters
between different character pages "on the fly": is it smart enough to skip
any transcoding operation, when both client and database are set to use
the same encoding already?

To make it more clear: I've got an application, which always uses LATIN2
encoding, and wants database using this encoding. Unfortunately, some
Postgres packages allow to set it - but some are "UTF-8 only". I'm wondering,
whether can I add into application command "SET CLIENT_ENCODING TO 'LATIN2';"
for steady, or it should be kept optional?

I would to avoid situation, when Postgres will transcode "from LATIN2 to
LATIN2". Perhaps someone knows the details, how is it working in practice?
--
                pozdrawiam / regards

                        Zbigniew Baniewski