Re: compiling, performance of PostGreSQL 8.3 on 64-bit processors - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Benjamin Weaver
Subject Re: compiling, performance of PostGreSQL 8.3 on 64-bit processors
Date
List pgsql-general
Sorry, guys, for wasting bandwidth on this!  You guys gave just the answer I
wanted to hear.  Sounds like there aren't any problems.

Not knowing about such things, I was scared by the following quote.  Perhaps
binaries do not need to be compiled as 64 bit binaries on a 64 bit machine?  Or
perhaps it's way out of date (2004) or simply wrong.

from

http://www.osnews.com/story/5768/Are_64-bit_Binaries_Really_Slower_than_32-bit_Binaries_/page3/

"

The Compile Factor

Getting applications to compile as 64-bit binaries can be tricky. The build
process for some applications, such as OpenSSL, have 64-bit specifically in
mind, and require nothing fancy. Others, like MySQL and especially PostgreSQL (I
was originally going to include PostgreSQL benchmarks) took quite a bit of
tweaking. There are compiler flags, linker flags, and you'll likely end up in a
position where you need to know your way around a Makefile..."

--
Benjamin Weaver
Faculty Research Associate, Imaging Papyri, Greek Fragments Projects, Oxford