Re: 0xc3 error Text Search Windows French - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: 0xc3 error Text Search Windows French
Date
List pgsql-general
Andrew wrote:
> Thanks Alvaro.

Please don't forget to CC the list.

> Reading the source for the patch, I can see how that should address the
> issue.  Though I don't really understand how it is working in Linux but
> not on Windows.  I assume that Linux OS is passing the UTF-8 character
> and Windows is passing a localised character, despite the format of the
> file being read, hence the need for pg_mblen, rather than just
> incrementing the pointer to the next character.  Not that it matters.
> If it was a Linux bug, I would just download the trunk and rebuild.

Windows is weird in its multibyte use, and if the server encoding in the
Linux server is set to a single-byte encoding (or maybe on MB encodings
too), then it wouldn't surprise me that one worked and the other didn't.

> However, I don't have a Windows C++ build environment and not that
> interested in creating one at the moment.  So I will continue playing
> with text search, and download the next Windows version once it is
> available.  Any indication of when the next release is scheduled?

No idea -- it will be released when "enough bugs are fixed" (or very
quickly if a security problem is found), so you could be waiting for a
while.

--
Alvaro Herrera                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/5ZYLFMCVHXC
"Amanece.                                               (Ignacio Reyes)