BUG #4247: (Possible) SQL miscontruct not flagged - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From J6M
Subject BUG #4247: (Possible) SQL miscontruct not flagged
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      4247
Logged by:          J6M
Email address:      j6m@adm.estp.fr
PostgreSQL version: 8.1.13
Operating system:   Linux x86-64
Details:

Hi,

This European afternoon, I was trying to count how many distinct values of a
row in a table exists and put this result in another table.

Instead of writing :

select distinct(ean13),(select count(*)  from fiart where ean13=a.ean13) as
n into zz from fiart as a ;

I wrote :

select distinct(ean13),(select count(*) into zz from fiart where
ean13=a.ean13) as n from fiart as a ;

I am not an expert in the most intricate shades of the SQL language. Should
the SQL interpreter not flag the query as a misconstruct statement and fire
an ERROR (or at least a WARNING) message ? (I'd guess it should).