Re: Crash in pgCrypto? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Crash in pgCrypto?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Monday 16 June 2008 09:54:16 Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Mario Weilguni wrote:
> > Could someone using the pgcrypto extension please verify this?
> >
> > SELECT encode(digest(null, 'md5'::text), 'hex');
> > or
> > SELECT digest(null, 'md5');
> >
> > Takes a few seconds, and then crashes the server with a Signal 11. My
> > system is PostgreSQL 8.2.7. Seems to be an unchecked access to memory
> > location 0.
>
> I think the functions were made STRICT recently, and the NULL checks
> were removed, but people with the old definitions of the functions could
> see the crashes.  Try removing pgcrypto and recompiling it from a fresh
> release.

<broken record>
I still advocate to folks to try to put contrib modules into thier own schemas
whenever possible, so that you have the option of doing pg_dump -N
contribmodule, makes things like this much easier to work around.  (And yes,
I've volunteered to patch the contribs with this if we ever decide to make it
the default setup)
</broken record>

--
Robert Treat