Re: what is a "valid link resource"? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: what is a "valid link resource"?
Date
List pgsql-general

> In trying to learn both php and postgresql as a novice, I am trying to
> debug a double migration of our old website from php4 to php5 and from
> postgres 7.4 to 8.3.
> I am running freebsd 7.0 on two machines and sometimes debugging from a
> Windows XP.
> The migrations themselves went fine; now to debug and make them actually
> work so I can tear this thing apart and rebuild with a new concept,
> design & implementation.
> So far, I am getting this error:
>
> "pg_exec(): supplied argument is not a valid PostgreSQL link resource"
> in this code (third line -->)
>
> ...snip
> function SQLQuery( $query ) {
>     global $dbh,$curr_row,$result_hash;
>     if( !($r=pg_exec($dbh, $query)) ) {
>     if (error_reporting()>0) {
>                 echo "<hr>SQL error (".pg_ErrorMessage($dbh).")<br>in
> ($query) <hr>";
>     }
>         return 'error';
>     }
>     $curr_row[$r] = 0;
>     $rows=@@pg_numrows( $r );
>     if(eregi("insert",$query)) {
>     #list($f1,$f2)=split('INTO',strtoupper($query));
>     $f=array();
>     if(eregi('(.*)into(.*)',$query,$f)) {
>         list($tablename,$bullshit)=split("\(",$f[2]);
>         $result_hash[$r]=$tablename;
>     }
>     }
>     return $r;
> }
> snip ...
>
> What, then, is a valid link resource? is it the strings or their
> content? I have been trying to figure out if pg_exec is valid in
> postrgres or should it be replaced by another function? There seem to be
> a number of these functions that are returning the same error...
> I have also not been able to determine the content of  the strings $dbh,
> $query or most other strings while debugging with eclipse, trying with
> phped, devphp .... I seem to be connecting to the remote server (freebsd
> with apache2.2.8 on LAN)

Note that there is a pgsql+php mailing list that may be more helpful
with your issues.

However, I would suggest adding a var_dump($dbh) prior to the pq_exec()
call as a debugging step.  The output should say that $dbh is a resource.
If it does not, then the connection attempt failed, or the value of that
variable was lost or something else earlier in your code.

A resource is a special kind of PHP variable, it is not a string, it is
a resource, with a resource ID.  It points to internal PHP data structures
that do special things (in this case, point to a PG connection)

You're using the correct commands, but the data your passing them doesn't
appear to be correct.  Perhaps add some debugging around the pg_connect()
to ensure it's working properly.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.