Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Aidan Van Dyk
Subject Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL
Date
Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL  (James Mansion <james@mansionfamily.plus.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
* Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> [080529 12:03]:
> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 4:48 PM, Douglas McNaught <doug@mcnaught.org> wrote:

> > I think the idea is that WAL records would be shipped (possibly via
> > socket) and applied as they're generated, rather than on a
> > file-by-file basis.  At least that's what "real-time" implies to me...
>
> Yes, we're talking real-time streaming (synchronous) log shipping.

But synchronous streaming doesn't mean the WAL has to be *applied* on
the salve yet.  Just that it has to be "safely" on the slave (i.e on
disk, not just in kernel buffers).

The whole single-threaded WAL replay problem is going to rear it's ugly
head here too, and mean that a slave *won't* be able to keep up with a
busy master if it's actually trying to apply all the changes in
real-time.  Well, actually, if it's synchronous, it will keep up, but it
just means that now your master is IO capabilities is limited to the
speed of the slaves single-threaded WAL application.

a.
aidan@highrise.ca                                       command like a king,