Re: ERRORDATA_STACK_SIZE panic crashes on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: ERRORDATA_STACK_SIZE panic crashes on Windows
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> I wrote:
> > Have any Windows-using hackers tried to look into the reports of
> > $SUBJECT on 8.3?  We have two fresh reports:
> > http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2008-05/msg00106.php
> > http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2008-05/msg00109.php
> > and this isn't the first time we've heard of it.
>
> And now we have another report:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2008-05/msg00159.php
> for which the complainant was kind enough to supply the requested
> details, and they seem to confirm my previous theory:
>
> > What I'm currently thinking is that maybe gettext() isn't on the
> > same page as us concerning what encoding it's supposed to produce
> > its output in.
>
> After digging around in the source code a bit, the reason why (and why
> it's only seen on Windows) became blindingly obvious :-(.  On Windows
> we specifically allow UTF-8 database encoding to be selected
> regardless of the system locale settings.  This is (AFAIK) safe for
> the basic locale-dependent stuff we do, because that all goes through
> special UTF-16-using code paths.  But it leaves gettext utterly
> misinformed about what it is supposed to do.
>
> Fortunately there is a way to tell gettext what to do, and accordingly
> I propose the attached patch.  I am not in a position to test it
> however.  Would somebody replicate the failure and confirm this
> fixes it?

After some work, I've managed to reproduce it in my test environment for
Swedish, and I can confirm that the patch fixes the issue.

Just for kicks, I've applied this patch so you, so you get to be on the
receiving side of that ;-)

//Magnus

//Magnus