BUG #4167: When generating UUID using UUID-OSSP module, UUIDs are not unique on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From nicoanto
Subject BUG #4167: When generating UUID using UUID-OSSP module, UUIDs are not unique on Windows
Date
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      4167
Logged by:          nicoanto
Email address:      na@mnm-consulting.com
PostgreSQL version: 8.3.1.0
Operating system:   Windows
not unique on Windows
Details:

Hi all,

I am using the 8.3.1 version of PostgreSQL. I wrote a simple function on
order to generate UUID values using the UUID-OSSP module
The code of the function is the following one :

    CREATE FUNCTION uuidgen() RETURNS CHAR(36) AS $$
       BEGIN
          RETURN uuid_generate_v4()::CHAR(36);
       END;
    $$ LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

When using it in a loop, I have got 2 different behaviors :
* on an Ubuntu platform, the generated UUID values are unique
* on a Windows platform, the generated UUID values are not unique most of
the time.

Do you have any idea on how to fix that bug on a Windows platform ?

Regards,

Nicoanto