BUG #4166: Alter table add column from PgAdminIII - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Mike Gagnon
Subject BUG #4166: Alter table add column from PgAdminIII
Date
Re: BUG #4166: Alter table add column from PgAdminIII  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      4166
Logged by:          Mike Gagnon
Email address:      mike.gagnon@bellnet.ca
PostgreSQL version: 8.3.1-1
Operating system:   Windows XP
Details:

Hi Postgres Experts,
I used PGAdmin III to add a character varying column(400) length, not null
default ''.  I get the column displayed in psql when I do a simple query
like SELECT * from MyTable limit 1;

When I try to do Update MyTable set NewColumn='something';   I get the error
saying that the column doesn't exist....  It thinks it exists when I do my
select, but it doesn't recognize this new column in my UPDATE...

I'm scared... I have a deadline coming up and I'm praying this one gets
fixed soon.

Many thanks!
Mike