Re: [HACKERS] Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width
Date
List pgsql-patches
Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I have updated the documentation for this patch.  I consider it ready to
> > apply.  I think it is as close to a middle ground as we are going to
> > get.  Further adjustment will have to happen when we have more reports
> > from the field.
>
> I heard a pretty compelling argument to make "wrapped" part of "aligned",
> and thus I think the patch  is ready to go only after adjusting the
> user-facing syntax:
>

> \pset border 2
> \pset format aligned
> Output format is aligned, no wrapping.
>
> \pset format aligned autowrap
> Output format is aligned, with automatic wrapping to the window width for terminals.
>
> \pset format aligned 80
> Output format is aligned, with a target width of 80 characters.
>
> \a
> Output format is unaligned, no wrapping.
> \a
> Output format is aligned, with a target width of 80 characters.
>

> If the wrapping code can't fit the column headings in the wrap width,
> it gives up and produces aligned output.  To do otherwise is totally
> unreadable.  Please give the patch a try, before complaining about this
> particular aspect of it.

Uh, well, we can do that, though looking at the psql code \pset only
wants two arguments.  We would have to modify how \pset works.  Also, I
am afraid making wrapping part of aligned is overly complicating the
API.  For example, I specificially kept \pset columns rather than
allowing a third argument to pset because it was starting to look too
complicated to describe in the manual.

I am not 100% sure myself so hopefully others will comment.