Re: Tech details - psql wraps at window width - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Tech details - psql wraps at window width
Date
Re: Tech details - psql wraps at window width  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> But I agree it's not desirable to wrap file any sort of stream output,
> by default, as that would break just about any script known to mankind.
> Yet wrapping is a very user-friendly default for interactive terminals.
> This is potentially an irreconcilable inconsistency.
>
> I weigh in on the side of leaving it inconsistent, but making it really
> easy to force the behavior you want with something like:
>    \pset format wrap [auto|nnn|off]
>
> But that leaves a big hole: what does the setting in .psqlrc refer to?
> Do we need separate controls in .psql?
>
>    \pset format_terminal wrap [auto|nnn|off]
>    \pset format_terminal html
>    \pset format_stream wrap [auto|nnn|off]
>    \pset format_stream html
>
> Where, on a stream, auto and off would have the same meaning, and \pset
> format would set both?

Hey, I can work with this idea.  First, there really is no 'off' mode
for wrapped because that is aligned.  What we could do is to have:
\pset format wrapped display

affect only output to the screen, using the screen width, and:
\pset format wrapped nnn

affect output to the screen and file/pipes.

http://enterprisedb.com