Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width
Date
Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width  ("Brendan Jurd" <direvus@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Brendan Jurd wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 4:46 AM, Gregory Stark  wrote:
> >  If you specify format=wrapped and get something other than wrapped it's a bug
> >  and people will undoubtedly report it as such.
> >

> Agree.  If I tell psql that I want wrapped output and it gives me
> something else when I output to a file, I'm going to be confused.
>
> In particular, I often work up a query in psql, making revisions with
> \e, and when I've got the results I want, I do a \g out.txt to dump
> the query output into a file.
>
> I expect that the contents of out.txt will be exactly the same as the
> query output I've just been crafting in psql.

Obviously you have expections of how wrapping should behave.  Please
name me an application that has a wrapped mode that has the output to a
file wrap based on the screen width?  It isn't 'ls -C'.

http://enterprisedb.com