Re: WIP: psql default banner patch v4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: WIP: psql default banner patch v4
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 17:44:43 -0400
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
> > Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
> Ahh o.k. Now I have a complaint. :) I happily removed the whitespace
> where I saw this, "%s \n" (for example) but the whitespace above is for
> readability. Consider:
>
> To quit psql type \q.
>
> I am trying to avoid the silly newbie saying, "I typed \q. and it did
> nothing".

I know, which is why I suggested rewording the messages so that the
command is somewhere other than the end of the sentence.  (This was
about 4 messages back in the thread).

> Maybe I am being overly cautious?

No, I think it's a reasonable thing to consider.

> > > --- 158,164 ----
> > >                       /* DB server user name */
> > >                   case 'n':
> > >                       if (pset.db)
> > > !                         strlcpy(buf,
> > > session_username(), sizeof(buf)); break;
> > >
> > >                   case '0':
> >
> > Please remove this hunk.  (In general make sure there are no useless
> > hunks in the diff.)
>
> Well to be honest, I wouldn't have known it was useless as I didn't
> write or purposely modify that part of the code.

Right.  I suggest you open the file in "meld" which allows you to easily
remove the offending extraneous difference.  Of course, you can do it in
Vim or Emacs directly, but I don't think Joe can do anything of the sort
... but we're not about to enter another editor flamewar, now, are we?