Re: TODO, FAQs to Wiki? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: TODO, FAQs to Wiki?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> >> The FAQs are another matter however.  I suggested some time back
> >> moving those to DocBook XML.  A friend was working on a script to
> >> do the initial conversion automatically.  The nice thing about it
> >> is that we can then use the xml2po tools to create PO files for
> >> translation.  This means that translations are more easily kept up
> >> to date.  Are you open to this possibility?
> >
> > What would be the advantage of keeping it in DocBook over the wiki?
> > One of the main advantages of keeping it on the wiki would be to
> > allow others to help out with the editing of them.
>
> Two words:
>
> print format
>
> If we want to push the FAQ to the wiki, we should write a stylesheet
> that transforms the docbook to wiki output (wouldn't be surprised if
> such a beast already exists) but the source should be Docbook or ODF.

You're not actually claiming we have print format today, are you?

And have you actually *tried* printing something from the wiki? Doesn't
look so bad to me.

And do people really *print* something like a FAQ?

Anyway. If people want to build a more complex system to deal with the
user FAQs, be my guest. The developer FAQ is obviously a very different
thing from those.

//Magnus