Re: table as log (multiple writers and readers) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: table as log (multiple writers and readers)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 12:35:33AM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> That's subject to the same issues, because a transaction's
> current_timestamp() is determined at transaction start.

But clock_timestamp() (and its ancestors in Postgres) don't have that
restriction.  I dunno that it's enough for you, though, since you have
visibility issues as well.  You seem to want both the benefits of files and
relational database transactions, and I don't think you can really have both
at once without paying in reader complication.

One way I can think of doing it is to write a seen_log that notes what the
client has already seen with a timestamp of (say) 1 minute.  Then you can
say "go forward from this time excluding ids (ids here)".