Re: Patch for Prevent pg_dump/pg_restore from being affected by statement_timeout - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Patch for Prevent pg_dump/pg_restore from being affected by statement_timeout
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 21:04:17 +0300
Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> To quote Tom:
> > I think we need to be careful to distinguish three situations:
> >
> > * statement_timeout during pg_dump
> > * statement_timeout during pg_restore
> > * statement_timeout during psql reading a pg_dump script file
>
> This patch addresses the third situation, but leaves open the 1st and
> the 2nd. IMO, we should set statement_timeout = 0 in them as well,
> unless someone comes up with plausible use case for using a non-zero
> statement_timeout.

My patch addresses all three, unless I am misunderstanding your
meaning. The patch does the following:

After connection with pg_dump it executes set statement_timeout = 0;
This fixed the pg_dump timeout issue.

It also writes set statement_timeout = 0 into the archive file, which
fixed pg_restore and psql.

> Ps. If you want to save the committer a couple of minutes of valuable
> time, you can fix the indentation to use tabs instead of spaces, and
> remove the spurious whitespace change on the empty line.

I can do that. Thanks for the feedback.

Joshua D. Drake