Re: Lessons from commit fest - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Lessons from commit fest
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > Perhaps this is a good idea -- discussions on new development should
> > be deferred until the end of the commitfest, if one is in progress.
> > We'll see what happens on the May commitfest, but my guess is that it
> > will be a lot shorter than the March one.  If it takes 1.5-2 weeks, it's
> > not so bad, and it means people is eager to get the current patches done
> > as quickly as possible so that discussions on items they are interested
> > in can continue.

> If you do that then the discussions bunch up, which is part of the
> reason we had 2k emails for the March commit fest.  Tom is saying not to
> delay those discussions.

The problem here was that the discussions bunched up during a full year.
Having them bunch up for a couple of weeks is not so bad.

And the problem with those discussions continuing is that the developers
participating in them are not working in the items in the queue.  We
want to encourage them to review the things already done, not to get
distracted on new stuff.

Of course, it is cat-herding, so it's not going to work 100%.