Re: Cached Query Plans (was: global prepared statements) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Cached Query Plans (was: global prepared statements)
Date
Re: Cached Query Plans  (Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
PFC wrote:

>     So, where to go from that ? I don't see a way to implement this without
> a (backwards-compatible) change to the wire protocol, because the clients
> will want to specify when a plan should be cached or not. Since the user
> should not have to name each and every one of the statements they want to
> use plan caching, I see the following choices :

I don't understand the point here.  We already have cached plans: you
send a Parse.  You can then Bind/Execute many times.

Maybe what we need is support for this in libpq, so that PHP can use it?