Re: Cannot use a standalone backend to VACUUM in "postgres"" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Cannot use a standalone backend to VACUUM in "postgres""
Date
Re: Cannot use a standalone backend to VACUUM in "postgres""  (Manuel Sugawara <masm@fciencias.unam.mx>)
List pgsql-general
Manuel Sugawara wrote:

Hi Manuel,

> The funny thing is that there was no open transactions, even after
> restarting the cluster the same message was logged. Today, the
> database stopped working as expected:
>
> ERROR: database is shut down to avoid wraparound data loss in database "postgres"
> HINT: Stop the postmaster and use a standalone backend to VACUUM in "postgres"

I suggest you look for temp tables that have not been reclaimed.  We've
had a couple of reports where leftover temp tables have stopped the
frozen-xid counter from advancing.  (They would have a very old
relfrozenxid.)