Re: Using tables in other PostGreSQL database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Using tables in other PostGreSQL database
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 05:20:56AM -0600, Pettis, Barry wrote:
> I wish I could say that I knew with certainty what schemas are or 2PC
> is.  Would be nice if I had exposure to other databases as well.  I'm
> sure that I'd have the same questions about MSft's SQL server.

Schemas are a subdivision of a database. Every table/function/etc is
within a schema. You can reference them as schema.tablename or just
tablename if it's in your path. You can set a default schema for each
user so that when they login they only see their own tables, but they
can access other people's tables if they use the schema name (and have
permissions).

http://sql-info.de/postgresql/schemas.html

I find it odd you dismissed them as an option without knowing what they
are. Access between databases is not an often requested feature, since
schemas are what most people use...

> But I thank the forum here for all the input.

No problem.

Have a nice day,

Attachment