Re: postgresql is slow with larger table even it is in RAM - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: postgresql is slow with larger table even it is in RAM
Date
List pgsql-performance
sathiya psql escribió:

>     So now everything is in RAM, if i do a count(*) on this table it returns
> 327600 in 3 seconds, why it is taking 3 seconds ????? because am sure that
> no Disk I/O is happening.

It has to scan every page and examine visibility for every record.  Even
if there's no I/O involved, there's a lot of work to do.  I am not sure
if with your hardware it is expected for it to take 3 seconds though.
Do you see high CPU usage during that period?