Re: Insert - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Insert
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sunday 23 March 2008 1:48 pm, Bob Pawley wrote:
> I have two tables - p_id.association and p_id.devices
>
> If a new row in p_id.association has a value - say 2 in column mon_function
> and a value 5 in column monitoring_fluid I want the new value for
> mon_function inserted into table p_id.devices ONLY when 2 AND 5 do not
> appear in the same row in p_id.devices.
>
> The following gives me a return of "more than one row" and I can't figure
> out what's wrong.

First could you send the actual CREATE FUNCTION statement. I will assume you
are using pl/pgsql.
Second I am assuming this is a trigger function, so the CREATE TRIGGER
statement would be useful.

> Any thoughts would be appreciated.
>
> Bob
>
> Declare
>  xmon_function varchar;
>
>  Begin
>  Select mon_function into xmon_function
>  From p_id.association
>  Where mon_function = new.mon_function;
If this is a trigger function, the above is redundant. Just use
new.mon_function.

>  If xmon_function = p_id.devices.device_number
>  From p_id.association, p_id.devices
>  Where p_id.association.monitoring_fluid = p_id.devices.fluid_id
>  or p_id.association.monitoring_fluid = p_id.devices.pipe_id
>  Then
You can't do this. You would need to do something along lines of SELECT
p_id.devices.device_number INTO dev_no FROM ... and
then IF new.mon_function = dev_no THEN

>  Return Null;
>

>  Elseif xmon_function = p_id.devices.device_number
>  or xmon_function != p_id.devices.device_number
>  From p_id.association, p_id.devices
>  Where p_id.association.monitoring_fluid != p_id.devices.fluid_id
>  or p_id.association.monitoring_fluid != p_id.devices.pipe_id

See above.

>  Then
>  Insert into p_id.devices (device_number) Values (New.mon_function) ;
>
>  Return Null;
>  END if;
>  End;
>

> -