Re: Problem with async notifications of table updates - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karsten Hilbert
Subject Re: Problem with async notifications of table updates
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 01:28:36PM +1030, Tyler, Mark wrote:

> This
> is because I cannot pass any information with the NOTIFY apart from the
> fact that "something happened".
Oh, you can, you can calculate the name of the NOTIFY
dynamically in the trigger sending the notify, for example
embedding a primary key value.

This may or may not be of help in your application though.

The whole issue is on the TODO list anyhow, AFAIR.

> Secondly, the lack of any delivery guarantee means my subscriber
Only the *quantity* is not guaranteed. You will always get
*one* of several notifies of the same type (provided you
listen). Again, this may or may not be sufficient for your
application but it's certainly not "lack of *any* guarantee".

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346