Re: Functional Index Question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From hubert depesz lubaczewski
Subject Re: Functional Index Question
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 09:04:28AM -0400, James B. Byrne wrote:
> To return to my first question.  Is doing this sort of thing considered good a
> practice?

for me - yes. keeping it in database is the best and safest option.
but you might get "issues" with orms.

> where they really belong.  However, the prevailing sentiment of the community
> surrounding Rails seems to hold otherwise so I wonder if this is really the
> right thing to do.

every (or nearly every) community around web-frameworks loves orms, and
thus doesn't like "too smart" databases.

depesz
--
quicksil1er: "postgres is excellent, but like any DB it requires a
highly paid DBA.  here's my CV!" :)