Re: UPDATE 66k rows too slow - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From andrew@pillette.com
Subject Re: UPDATE 66k rows too slow
Date
List pgsql-performance
Miguel Arroz <arroz@guiamac.com> wrote ..

>    I'm testing an update on 66k rows on Postgresql, and it seems
> something is not right here.
>
>    My server is a Quad-Xeon 3.2 Ghz with 2 GB RAM and a RAID 1 running
> FreeBSD 6.3 and PgSQL 8.3. My development machine is a PowerBook G4
> 1.67 Ghz with 2 GB RAM, OS X Leopard and PgSQL 8.3.

[62 seconds on server, 25 seconds on much weaker development machine]

OK, my guess is that the server's tables are bloated beyond what regular VACUUM can fix. Try a VACUUM FULL VERBOSE or a
re-CLUSTERif the tables are clustered.

Hope this helps.