Re: Watch your PlanetPostgreSQL.org blogs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Watch your PlanetPostgreSQL.org blogs
Date
List pgsql-general

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 15:39:32 -0500
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Guy Rouillier <guyr-ml1@burntmail.com> writes:
> > Dave Page wrote:
> >> Well there's a major part of your misunderstanding.
> >> planetpostgresql.org IS NOT a community project. It is a project
> >> started and run by a very well liked and respected community member
> >> (with the assistance of a few others), that the community - read
> >> web team, plus others - support and encourage. If it were a
> >> community project it would be under postgresql.org, as all our
> >> sites are, (with the exception of pgFoundry)
>
> > And with the new exception of the community documentation recently
> > started at http://www.postgresqldocs.org.
>
> Which in fact has got only the weakest claim to be a "community"
> project.  If it actually were such, in the sense of having been
> started with community-wide discussion and approval, it would have
> been set up under postgresql.org.

I suggest you check the archives the the numerous threads on the topic
of having community editable documentation that have essentially been
ignored by the Web team (of which I am a part).

>             regards, tom lane

The "community" is much bigger than the small atom of .Org. .Org is
obviously the hub and the central switch no question but your assessment
of it not being a community project is a testament to arrogance that I
haven't seen in some days on these lists.

Are you to say that the easy 99% of people that use PostgreSQL that
don't participate within the .Org aren't part of our community? Or
perhaps that the ITPUG folks, who for the most part do not participate
on these lists aren't part of our community?

Or perhaps you are saying that the very hard work by Elein via the old
Bits days are not part of the community just because it doesn't have
PostgreSQL.org address.

Tom with the utmost of respect, you are in this instance the most
centered of the definition wrong I have seen.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- --
      PostgreSQL political pundit | Mocker of Dolphins