Re: Toast space grows - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: Toast space grows
Date
List pgsql-performance

> There are inserts and few updates (but what do you mean with update??

He means adding or changing data in the table.

> committed update??, because there are many updates of the log attribute in
> trasaction, we do periodical flush during transaction)

Are you saying you have long-running transactions?  How long does a
single transaction take?

Transactions prevent vacuum from being able to clean up.  Long running
transactions tend to render vacuum ineffective.

>, sum takes
> approximately 1,2G, and i mean vacuum full (but there is no lock on the
> table when running vacuum full). I haven't try plain vacuum.

Don't do vacuum full on this table.  Do frequent vacuums.  The table will
bloat some, but not 10x the required size, once you find a reasonable
frequency for vacuums.  You might find it practical to manually vacuum
this table from your application after insert and update operations.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

wmoran@collaborativefusion.com
Phone: 412-422-3463x4023

IMPORTANT: This message contains confidential information and is
intended only for the individual named. If the reader of this
message is not an intended recipient (or the individual
responsible for the delivery of this message to an intended
recipient), please be advised that any re-use, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message is prohibited. Please
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received
this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The
sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a
result of e-mail transmission.