Re: Bulk Insert tuning - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Gavin Sherry
Subject Re: Bulk Insert tuning
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 02:43:51PM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> Following patch implements a simple mechanism to keep a buffer pinned
> while we are bulk loading.

CK Tan and I worked on something similar but the problem we discovered
was self locking. Consider a primary key: we insert a tuple into a
buffer and do not release the exclusive lock. The btree code fetches the
buffer and tries to share lock it, but we've already exclusive locked
it. Oops. The performance improvement, though, makes it worth seeing if
there is a solution.

Thanks,

Gavin