multi-threaded pgloader needs your tests - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject multi-threaded pgloader needs your tests
Date
Re: multi-threaded pgloader needs your tests
List pgsql-performance
Hi,

You may remember some thread about data loading performances and
multi-threading support in pgloader:
  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2008-02/msg00081.php

The pgloader code to handle this is now ready to get tested, a more structured
project could talk about a Release Candidate status.
 http://pgloader.projects.postgresql.org/dev/TODO.html
 http://pgloader.projects.postgresql.org/dev/pgloader.1.html#_parallel_loading
 http://packages.debian.org/pgloader --- experimental has the next version

As for the performances benefit of this new version (2.3.0~dev2), all the work
could be reduced to zilch because of the python Global Interpreter Lock,
which I've been aware of late in the development effort.
  http://docs.python.org/api/threads.html

This documentation states that (a) using generators you're not that
concerned, and (b) the global lock still allows for IO and processing at the
same time. As pgloader uses generators, I'm still not sure how much a problem
this will be.

I'd like to have some feedback about the new version, in term of bugs
encountered and performance limitations (is pgloader up to what you would
expect a multi-threaded loader to be at?)

Regards,
--
dim

Attachment