Re: autovacuum not freeing up unused space on 8.3.0 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: autovacuum not freeing up unused space on 8.3.0
Date
List pgsql-general
Stuart Brooks wrote:

> I am not using an ALTER table command but I am doing periodic ANALYZEs
> to evaluate the table size. Could this be causing the problem? I notice
> that stopping the ANALYZE calls appears to eliminate the canceled
> autovacuum.

Why were you running ANALYZE on the first place?  If it's just to see
how many dead space there is, I suggest you peek into
pg_stat_user_tables instead, which is less invasive.  Autovacuum itself
should run ANALYZEs as needed (and you can, of course, tune it if you
feel it's not frequent enough in the default configuration).