Re: syntax error at or near "PROCEDURAL" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: syntax error at or near "PROCEDURAL"
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 06:40:43PM +0100, Andreas Lau wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I try to restore a dump file on a new Database. But unfortunatly i get this error:
>
> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error while PROCESSING TOC:
> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error from TOC entry 532; 2612 16386 PROCEDURAL LANGUAGE plpgsql postgres
> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR:  syntax error at or near "PROCEDURAL"
> LINE 1: ALTER PROCEDURAL LANGUAGE plpgsql OWNER TO postgres;
>               ^
>     Command was: ALTER PROCEDURAL LANGUAGE plpgsql OWNER TO postgres;
>
> and I don't know how I can avoid it.
>
> My steps:
> ==========
> First dump the current DB (postgres version 8.2.6) with the following command:
>     pg_dump -h v-oracle-4 -p 5432 -UAdministrator -Fc -o -f C:\test2.backup MyDB
>
> Second try to restore Dump on another server with postgres 8.2.6 with the folowing command:
>     pg_restore.exe -h 192.168.30.107 -p 5432 -UAdministrator -C -e -d Mirror c:\test2.backup 2>c:\t.txt
>
> The script stops and the errormessage mentioned above apears in the file.
>
> Do you have any hints why the error appears and how i can sove it? Please help.

Any chance you are running pg_dump/pg_restore version 8.3? The syntax
appears to be what 8.3 uses, not 8.3..

You can use (and should use) an 8.3 pg_dump to dump your 8.2 database when
upgrading to 8.3, but you often can't reload a dump created by 8.3 on an
8.3 database.

//Magnus