Re: Postgres 8.3 broke everything - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Postgres 8.3 broke everything
Date
List pgsql-general

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 19:49:29 -0500
"Alex Turner" <armtuk@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah - I pressed tab to indent my code, and of course it tabbed to the
> next element on the page, which was the send button, then I hit a key,
> and it sent the message before I was ready.  I tested my hypothesis,
> but it was wrong.  I haven't quite figured it out yet.  Something to
> do with casting a char to an int I think, but I can't reproduce it

Based on this I bet you are being nailed by:

#

Non-character data types are no longer automatically cast to TEXT
(Peter, Tom)

Previously, if a non-character value was supplied to an operator or
function that requires text input, it was automatically cast to text,
for most (though not all) built-in data types. This no longer happens:
an explicit cast to text is now required for all non-character-string
types. For example, these expressions formerly worked:

substr(current_date, 1, 4)
23 LIKE '2%'

but will now draw "function does not exist" and "operator does not
exist" errors respectively. Use an explicit cast instead:

substr(current_date::text, 1, 4)
23::text LIKE '2%'

(Of course, you can use the more verbose CAST() syntax too.) The reason
for the change is that these automatic casts too often caused
surprising behavior. An example is that in previous releases, this
expression was accepted but did not do what was expected:

current_date < 2017-11-17

This is actually comparing a date to an integer, which should be (and
now is) rejected — but in the presence of automatic casts both sides
were cast to text and a textual comparison was done, because the text <
text operator was able to match the expression when no other < operator
could.

Types char(n) and varchar(n) still cast to text automatically. Also,
automatic casting to text still works for inputs to the concatenation
(||) operator, so long as least one input is a character-string type.

- --
PostgreSQL SPI Liaison | SPI Director |  PostgreSQL political pundit