Re: Permanent settings - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Permanent settings
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 09:36:43AM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Dawid Kuroczko escribió:
>
> > 1) changes that cannot be done to live server:
> >
> > SET PERMANENT shared_buffers = '1GB';
> >
> > Now, this is a setting that cannot be changed "live", but it should be
> > changeable.  And we need a command to query what's permanent
> > and what's current.
>
> IMO restart-only settings should not be changeable via the new SQL
> command.  It's just too messy to deal with that.

I respectfully disagree. It should be settable. You need a restart, sure,
and the GUI app should tell you that. But you shuld be able to change them.
(for example, pgadmin can restart the server just fine for you if you're on
Windows)

> Also, this SQL command should reject being used in a transaction block
> (BEGIN/COMMIT), because rolling it back seems fragile.

That I can agree with.

//Magnus