Re: Permanent settings - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Permanent settings
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 11:09:43AM -0500, Aidan Van Dyk wrote:
> * Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> [080219 10:39]:
> > >
> > > In my opinion, absolutely.  It's easy, safe, and the "overhead"
> > > associated with it is minimal, and not in any critical path "work" path.
> > > Add to that the fact that the admin can easily clean up the file any
> > > time he wants too.
> >
> > I think that's entirely unworkable. While I absolutelyi don't want to break
> > things for people who use the config file as the primary interface (heck,
> > *I* am one of those people), it has to be usable for the case it's trying
> > to fix. And this really wouldn't be.
>
> Can you explain why this wouldn't be usable?

Because you will end up with an ever-growing file, that will be a PITA to
deal with. Consider it after 10k+ changes. (yes, I can see that happening.
You know how some people use GUIs) Or 100k. The problem does not happen at
100 lines...

I can see the solution with a single file with them all in, but it needs to
be able to overwrite them IMHO.

//Magnus