Re: Permanent settings - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Permanent settings
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 03:53:11PM +0000, Richard Huxton wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
> >What I'd really like to see is something like a new keyword on the SET
> >command, so you could to SET PERMANENT foo=bar, which would write the
> >configuration back into postgresql.conf.
> >
> >I don't have a complete solution for how to actually implement it, so I'm
> >just throwing out some ideas for comment.
>
> Not sure if it's of interest, but you might want to look at the postfix
> mailserver configuration setup and see if that translates to an API.
>
> postconf
>   lists the configuration settings (in alphabetical order)

SELECT * FROM pg_settings

> postconf -n
>   list non-default settings

SELECT * FROM pg_settings WHERE NOT source='default'

> postconf <setting>
>   display "setting = value"

SHOW log_destination

> postconf -e <setting> = <value>
>   edit the configuration file, changing that setting

That's the one remaining :-)

> The editing option replaces any existing version of that setting and
> adds the new value at the end of the file.

Eh, it cannot both replace it, and add it at the end of the file, can it?
Does it replace it in-line, or does it remove the in-line entry and put the
new one at the end? Or are you saying it edits in-line entries and appends
new ones at the end?

> Having all the values at the end of the file works well, because for a
> simple setup you don't need to change many settings and they don't
> depend on order.

Right. I don't think we have any settings that depend on order, do we?

//Magnus