Re: Permanent settings - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Permanent settings
Date
Re: Permanent settings  (Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 04:38:16PM +0100, Csaba Nagy wrote:
> > Are you suggesting we keep appending? So if I set the same parameter 100
> > times, it would show up on 100 rows?
>
> What about not touching the config file at all, but write to a separate
> file which is completely under the control of postgres and include that
> at the end of the config file ? You just said includes are a new feature
> which could complicate things, so why not use it actually in your
> advantage ;-)
>
> That way disabling the overrides would be as simple as commenting out
> the inclusion of the postgres controlled config file. And it would
> separate the user writable and machine writable configuration...

Yeah, that may actually be a very good way to implement it. I don't like
the idea of continously appending to an existing file, but if we did have a
separate file with a tightly controlled format that would be doable.

The end result wouldn't be "as clean" as some would expect, but it would
certainly be easier code-wise. For example, I'm sure someone would get the
suggestion to go edit postgresql.conf to change a config value, and be
surprised when it didn't show up as a changed setting because it was
overridden from another file..

//Magnus