Re: 7 hrs for a pg_restore? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Douglas J Hunley
Subject Re: 7 hrs for a pg_restore?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tuesday 19 February 2008 13:22:58 Tom Lane wrote:
> Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com> writes:
> > Douglas J Hunley wrote:
> >> I spent a whopping seven hours restoring a database late Fri nite for a
> >
> > Oh, and have you tweaked the configuration settings for the restore?
> > Lots of work_mem, turn fsync off, that sort of thing.
>
> maintenance_work_mem, to be more specific.  If that's too small it will
> definitely cripple restore speed.  I'm not sure fsync would make much
> difference, but checkpoint_segments would.  See
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/populate.html#POPULATE-PG-DUMP

from the postgresql.conf i posted:
~ $ grep maint postgresql.conf
maintenance_work_mem = 256MB            # min 1MB

thx for the pointer to the URL. I've made note of the recommendations therein
for next time.

> Also: why did you choose -o ... was there a real need to?  I can see
> that being pretty expensive.

I was under the impression our application made reference to OIDs. I'm now
doubting that heavily <g> and am seeking confirmation.

--
Douglas J Hunley (doug at hunley.homeip.net) - Linux User #174778
http://doug.hunley.homeip.net

I've got trouble with the wife again - she came into the bar looking for me
and I asked her for her number.