Re: 7 hrs for a pg_restore? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Douglas J Hunley
Subject Re: 7 hrs for a pg_restore?
Date
Re: 7 hrs for a pg_restore?  (Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com>)
List pgsql-performance
On Tuesday 19 February 2008 13:12:54 Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > I spent a whopping seven hours restoring a database late Fri nite for
> > a client. We stopped the application, ran pg_dump -v -Ft -b -o $db >
> > ~/pre_8.3.tar on the 8.2.x db, and then upgrading the software to
> > 8.3. I then did a pg_restore -v -d $db ./pre_8.3.tar and watched it
> > positively crawl. I'll grant you that it's a 5.1G tar file, but 7
> > hours seems excessive.
> >
> > Is that kind of timeframe 'abnormal' or am I just impatient? :) If
> > the former, I can provide whatever you need, just ask for it.
> > Thanks!
>
> 7 hours for 5.1 G is excessive. It took me 11 hours to do 220G :). It
> would be helpful if we knew what the machine was doing. Was it IO
> bound? How much ram does it have? Is it just a single HD drive? What
> are your settings for postgresql?

It wasn't doing anything but the restore. Dedicated DB box

postgresql.conf attached

system specs:
Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.40GHz (dual, so shows 4 in Linux)

MemTotal:      8245524 kB

The db resides on a HP Modular Storage Array 500 G2. 4x72.8Gb 15k rpm disks. 1
raid 6 logical volume. Compaq Smart Array 6404 controller

--
Douglas J Hunley (doug at hunley.homeip.net) - Linux User #174778
http://doug.hunley.homeip.net

We do nothing *FOR* users. We do things *TO* users. It's a fine distinction,
but an important one all the same.

Attachment