Re: Analogue to SQL Server UniqueIdentifier? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: Analogue to SQL Server UniqueIdentifier?
Date
List pgsql-general

> Hi
>
> My porting experiment has encountered the SQL Server UniqueIdentifier problem. I can see one or two suggestions about
thishave been made over the years but I'd like to try and stay close to the original. So:

> I'm wondering if I can use a combination of a domain 'hack' for syntatic compatibillity and an externally implemented
functionto handle generation.

> More specifically, given a table defined thus:
>
> CREATE TABLE jazz(
> UUID UniqueIdentifier DEFAULT newIdentifier(),
> rootname VARCHAR(255),
> data_source VARCHAR(1024),
> date_created DATETIME DEFAULT GETDATE())
>
> 1. Can I handle the UniqueIdentifier datatype via a domain that aliases UniqueIdentifier to char(X) (for example) ?
Thisseems to work fine for the DATETIME datatype.
> 2. Implement newIdentifier() in some extension DLL that simply calls CoCreateGUID() ?
>
> or does uuid-ossp do this for me?

I'm no expert on this topic, but since nobody else has responded ...

I'm unsure why you would do anything other than install uuid-ossp.
Anything else is going to be a hack, and uuid-ossp was created specifically
to address this requirement.

Unless, of course, I've misunderstood your question.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com