Re: the feasibility of sending email from stored procedure in Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jorge Godoy
Subject Re: the feasibility of sending email from stored procedure in Postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
Em Friday 15 February 2008 12:36:37 Adam Rich escreveu:
> > I would instead queue messages (or suitable information about them) in
> > a table, and have a process outside PostgreSQL periodically poll for them
>
> Why poll when you can wait?
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/sql-notify.html

To use cron and prevent system resources being allocated when not needed?

To prevent one other external system to keep a connection open to the
database?

To guarantee that if the external system crashed somehow during one batch
execution it would still keep sending emails when it was activated again?

I can see notify being useful to GUI clients that need to update some
information in near real time.  Even for web applications it is easier to
code a "poll" and a refresh using AJAX to prevent full screen redraws.

I don't see LISTEN/NOTIFY as an useful tool for sending emails, though.

--
Jorge Godoy      <jgodoy@gmail.com>